Rome Business School had the pleasure of talking to the project manager of Gruppo Jobel and she shared some leadership tips which we found useful to share with our students.
The Gruppo Jobel works steadily since 2000 in Italy and abroad as a creative factory in the fields of production, organization and distribution of shows and events, paying particular attention to both cultural promotion and artistic training.
The company goal is building up a creative and functional world in which the organizational necessities meet a poetic vision by creating a balanced unicum able to match the needs of the international contemporary public. From 2011, the Group has been officially recognised as a cultural operator by the Italian Ministry of Heritage and Cultural Activities.
1. How did you decide to pursue the career in which you are working today?
I started by working in acting and dubbing in Italy. In 2012, I decided to follow some project in the fields of management and I left the stage.
2. Can you name a person who has had a tremendous impact on you? Maybe someone who has been a mentor to you? Why and how did this person impact your life?
My mentor was and still is my Artistic Director, the founder of the Jobel Group. He is an independent artist and has the extraordinary and innovative vision to connect arts and culture with current topics.
3. What is one characteristic that you believe every leader should possess?
a. A deep understanding of human beings.
b. An understanding of what is happening in the society around him, around his company, and around the world.
c. To listen and to develop individual skills
d. To have a good team
e. To have a great sense of humour
f. To be always available
g. To be humble and patient
4. What advice would you give to someone going into a leadership/management position for the first time?
a. To listen to the people with whom they are working, to let them talk.
b. To ask them what they like and what makes them happy
c. Not to impose
d. To walk the talk
e.To have very clearly in mind what he or she wants to say.
f. To not show fear or doubts
g. To smile
5. What are you doing to ensure that you continue to grow and develop as a leader/manager?
a. I meet with my mentor
b. I listen to the youngest generations
c. I keep setting higher goals each month
d. I set up long term projects
e. I travel and network
f. I try to talk less and act more
g. I keep a positive attitude and smile